What Comes Next?

Studying abroad was never really even a part of the plan, not that I ever really had much of one. I knew I would end up in college somewhere after high school, but truly, that was the extent to which I knew where my life was headed. My first year of college, although I hadn't laid out any thoughts for how it would go, was much different than I'd believed it would be. With constant assignments, a demanding work schedule, and trying to balance a decent social life, everything became very overwhelming very quickly. When studying abroad was suggested to me, I thought of it as a kind of escape from the hectic life I was living. Little did I know it would end up being so much more than that.

About two and a half weeks ago, only a few weeks into the semester at the time, we left Olomouc for our second class trip to Rome. A hop, a skip, and a jump later, or rather, a tram, train, subway, plane, and another tram later, we arrived and checked into our hotel of the next few days. We all knew what our first Italian activity would be - food. After a day of breakfast here and snacking there, we all were more than ready to put some food in our bellies. Nick, Bree, Chase and I found a small, local restaurant around the corner from our hotel and indulged in the first of many delicious Roman meals. After a long day of travel, we settled in for the night as soon as we returned to the hotel.

The next day began the majority of our adventures in the country. We were lucky enough to arrive the night before mass at the Vatican, so that morning, we began the forty-five minute walk to get a glimpse of the architectural beauty and possibly the Pope, and were not disappointed. We stayed for a portion of the ceremony, then took off to see some other things before returning to the Vatican in the afternoon.

The next day, we returned to the area of the Vatican, but this time, we attended the museum portion. Never in my life have I been somewhere so crowded. There were literally people everywhere. Upon entrance to the exhibits, the only way to move through the crowd was as one mass with hardly enough time to even enjoy the exhibits. The one room we made sure to gawk at, however, was the Sistine Chapel. I have never seen such beauty in all of my twenty years. To think someone created such a masterpiece in such a massive room is truly awe-inspiring. Definitely the best part of day two.

The next couple of days blur together a bit at this point, but some other beautiful, memorable experiences from Rome include a late night walk to the Colosseum to see the incredible work lit up in the darkness, and the meaningful conversations I shared with Bree and Chase as we marveled at the structure. A separate evening, Bree, Chase and I stumbled upon a small bookshop that happened to have books in English, where I spent several hours in the peaceful environment until coming across a book I would begin later on on our journeys.

The last day as a class in Rome, we saw countless landmarks and sights, among them the inside of the Colosseum, the forum, and holy stairs. We ended our time before the beginning of fall break at a restaurant, again, near our hotel. After a few hours of unforgettable food, wonderful wine, and lots of laughter, we said our goodbyes and wished each other a fantastic fall break.

This trip signified what felt like a lot to me. It began a period of time in which a couple of friends and I were able to make some of the best and most insane memories of our lives. It began a trip that was beyond anything I ever could have expected. I have a new appreciation for Europe, experiences, life. I know the phrase is "when in Rome," and Rome was truly magnificent, but the time we spent after held an entirely new significance. Freedom, peace, the break I had been longing for for so long all culminated in the weeks following. So, maybe when in Rome, know that there's still more to come. There is so much more out there. Rome is only just the beginning.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Vienna Waits for You

The Break of a Lifetime

A Home Away From Home